Be Honest! Saturday, May 3rd at Wieden + Kennedy
224 NW 13th Ave, Portland, OR 97209
Schedule & Logistics
12:00 Set up Volunteers arrive
2:00 All Participants Arrive
5:00–6:00 VIP Event
6:00–8:00 Student Showcase
8:00–9:00 Guest Speaker: Dan Cassaro
9:00–10:00 Tear down Volunteers
- All Be Honest participants must sign up to help set up or tear down. We also need help with event materials production, happening one week from today.
- We will begin set up at 12pm
- All Participants MUST be at W+K by 2pm and ready to set up your table. It takes more time than you may expect to have everything set up.
- VIP Invite Only guests will begin arriving at 5:00. The list of visitors includes people from Wieden Kennedy, Nike, Plazm, Big Giant, OMFGCo, and more. This period of the evening is a little slower, quiet, and allows for more in depth conversations to be had with some really great people from our community. If there is someone special that you would like to come to the invite only portion of the evening, send an email to Kate and she will send a personal invitation to that person!
- During the event we will be serving beer and snacks for our guests. We’ll also have a Good Editions table selling prints and a general information/welcome table for PSUGD/FoGD
- We will not have access to power supply or wifi, so make sure you’re charged up and prepared if you plan to show any work on your tablet or laptop.
- Parking in the Pearl is a pain, so carpool, use public transportation, or have someone give you a ride.
- We will be responsible for total clean up of the space, so we would like to have LOTS of volunteers for tear down/clean up.
- Each student will have a 3ft wide by 1.5 ft deep area to display their work. It’s not much, so please plan ahead and carefully consider what you want to show. Take a look at photos from previous years to see how students set up their tables and displayed their work. LINK, LINK, LINK
- Full table size is 6 ft wide, which means they’re split in two, which means you can pick a table buddy within your grade level! See next item.
- Tables are first come first serve! Tables will be grouped by grade level (Sophomore, Junior, Senior).
- Bring your own materials to decorate your table. Maybe consider building upward to make your work more noticeable. Remember to bring tape, binder clips, string, etc. Whatever you think you might need to set up. Try doing a table “dress rehearsal” at home!
Dress Code / Etiquette
- Less casual than an interview, more formal than everyday. “Creative Casual”
- Wear comfy shoes! You’ll be standing most of the night!
- Be Nice! Some people will be wearing name tags, but others won’t! Treat everyone kindly, you never know who you may be speaking to.
- Be prepared to talk about your work!
- Some past Be Honest students have suggested you bring in process work or sketch books! Ask specific questions about your work to get feedback.
Are You Ready Checklist?
- Do you have takeaways? (business cards, post cards, prints, buttons, other super creative things!)
- Is your website up to date?
- Are you prepared to discuss your work/Have specific questions to receive feedback?
At this point you’ve worked really hard so have FUN and meet the great people that make up Portland’s creative community!
If I missed anything or you have questions, you can tweet @fogd or comment below.